It is about time to launch something different from boring travelogues, right? So here you’ve got my slightly improvised New York Cheesecake recipe, which I spiked up with Nut-nougat-cream. :) Up and at’em!
1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup crushed cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (eg. Oreos)
1/4 brown sugar
6 tbsp butter, melted
nut-nougat-cream (eg. Nutella)
3 packages (8oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or 2 tbsp vanilla sugar, if you like)
more nut-nougat-cream :)
In a bowl combine cracker crumbs, cookie crumbs, sugar and butter. Press onto the bottom and an inch up the sides of a nine-inch springform pan. I covered the bottom with a baking sheet and greased the sides to make it easier removing the cake later on. Place on baking sheet, in case of excessive fat dribbling out ;) Wouldn’t want you to scrub the oven.
Bake at 350°F for 7-10 Minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Slightly heat nut-nougat-cream and spread onto the base withing an inch of the edge.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs (beat on low speed if you use a machine) just until combined. Stir in vanilla and pour, according to taste, a cup or two of the filling into a bowl and set a side. Pour remaining filling over the base.
Heat up the rest of the nut-nougat-cream and fold into reserved cream cheese mixture. Carefully pour over filling. (The ratio of the nut-nougat-cream is up to you. I used 1-1/2 cups in total for the whole cake.)
Return pan to baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 55-65 minutes, until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife (or something comparable) around edge of pan to loosen; cool one more hour. I even take off the edge after the first ten minutes, just to be safe. It is really important to loosen it properly, otherwise the cake cannot set properly and will crack (although sometimes you cannot prevent that anyway, as you see below).
- the original recipe was with peanut butter, so go and try different combinations
- instead of oreos you might also try to make a base with plain sandwich cookies, which are filled with chocolate-cream. i haven’t tried it yet, though.
- if you like part the filling 50:50 and swirl the layer to create a marble effect
- New York Cheesecake shouldn’t be made with fat-reduced cream cheese (or pb, for that matter), says the recipe – not me
- the original recipe also used an additional cup / 8oz. of sour cream, which I simply forgot. If you like you can add it, of course
- If you want to have a topping cover it with chocolate (save some nut-nougat-cream and stir it it if you like) and sprinkle it with hacked hazelnuts
- The imagination has no limits here!!!
Bon Appetit :)